— Work with us
Become a Volunteer
Our volunteer programme is currently running at capacity.
Please watch our Facebook page and our website for information on the next volunteer information session.
How Can You Help?
Individuals can help by becoming volunteers of Heartlands Baby Sanctuary.
What Is A Volunteer?
A Volunteer is any person, male or female, over the age of 18 years, who would like to offer their help without remuneration for their services, offering their time, skills and expertise to an organisation. They act as dependable, unpaid members of staff and can help ensure that the gaps in the provided services are filled and the needs of the children are met. A volunteer need not necessarily belong to, or be offering services as part of any organisational requirements.
How Do I Become A Volunteer?
Attend a compulsory volunteer
Complete an application form and submit the following:
- Two certified copies of your identity document
- A valid police clearance certificate
Attend a compulsory personal interview with the volunteer coordinator
Attend a compulsory training session
Note: If the process is not followed as stated above, the individual will not be considered for the volunteer program.
We have a separate recruitment process for international volunteers. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator directly for more information.
WHAT IS THE ROLE AND DUTIES OF A VOLUNTEER?
A volunteer is permitted to choose when he or she would like to offer his/her services as long as a minimum of 8 hours are completed per month and volunteers commit themselves for at least one year. This may be during or after work hours, weekdays or weekends. The services of the volunteers may be offered in the following ways:
- Residential Project/Child Care Centre:
- Provide individual attention to the children.
- Help with feeding the children
- Assist with outings and birthday parties
- Sustainability Project:
- Help with the sorting of donations (toys, clothes etc)
- Assist with reception duties when receptionist is on leave or during staff meetings.
- Fundraising and Events:
- Manpower for fundraising events
- Admin functions related to fundraising
- General Maintenance and Gardening:
- Assist with general maintenance and the garden project
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS REGARDING THE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM:
- Why is it necessary to obtain a police clearance certificate?
Heartlands Baby Sanctuary follows the guidelines as well as the norms and standards of the Children’s Act (38 of 2005) as the organisation delivers a service towards vulnerable children. Any person working directly with children will need to hand in a valid police clearance certificate. Volunteers will also be screened by Heartlands as a form 19 inquiry will be made to check if the volunteer’s name appears on the national child protection register.
- How do I obtain a police clearance certificate?
- You can apply for a police clearance at a police station in your area or;
- Via Nevatec for a criminal clearance certificate
Applying for and obtaining a police clearance certificate is the responsibility of the individual. The cost of a police clearance will vary and the obtainment of the certificate at the police station will be between 6 – 8 weeks and through Nevatec between 3 – 5 days. You will have to provide your identity document and your fingerprints will be taken.
- How do I find out more about volunteer opportunities?
Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator for more information at 021 852 3527 or email@example.com
- What do I do if I missed an intake session?
There are about 2 to 3 intake sessions scheduled for a year. If you missed one intake session you can request to attend the next intake session.